Wednesday, October 17, 2018 - 9 Safar 1440

Subscribe to our mail list

Home » Fatwas » Society & Family » Financial Support

Caring for the financial needs of a widow’s children

My husband’s brothers and nephews were taking care of the financial needs of my young children after his death. A few months back I remarried but my late husband’s brothers and nephews withdrew their support. I would like to know who should look after my children — my late husband’s brothers and their children or my present husband?


It seems to me that both your children’s uncles and nephews were prepared to look after the financial needs of your children when it was clear to them that there was no one else to support them. But when you remarried, they were ready to hand over the responsibility to someone else. If your husband is able and willing to look after your children, he will be doing a great act of kindness. He is not responsible under Islamic law to provide or to look after your children, but this would be a great act of kindness which will not go unrewarded by God the Almighty. It is often the case that when a man marries a woman with young children from an earlier marriage, he looks after her children. This gives him satisfaction in this life. The children grow to love him and God the Almighty will reward him in the hereafter.

The responsibility of looking after your children lies on their uncles in the absence of any nearer relatives such as a grandfather or a brother. However, you need to sort this out by talking to all the concerned parties. If your present husband is willing to support them [and you may have touched upon this before marrying him], it is well and good. If not, then their uncles should give them enough financial support. Obviously your own financial needs are provided for by your husband and this reduces the burden on their uncles. It may be that you need to come to an agreement that requires each party pay a share so as to reduce the burden on each one of them.

Related links
» Should the wife spend her personal money on her family?
» Should my dad cover my expenses after divorcing my mother?
» Marital expenses
» Is the deferred bridal dowry included in the estate of the deceased?
» Does borrowing a wife's dowry invalidate the marriage?